May 13 & 14, 2023
9th Street, Huntington Beach
Entry Deadline is April 24, 2023
Non-SSS Member Teams are required to also complete an online Student Membership/Waiver Form.
This is a Team event with Individual advancement and points going towards both individual and overall team scores. Heats will be 15 minutes each. Six person heats with 50% advancement
$1,200 per full team OR Partial Team $70 per surfer per division.
Please make checks payable to Scholastic Surf Series and “MS States – team” in the memo line. Mail to PO Box 232042, Encinitas CA 92023 (we do not have online pay available for this event at this time)
9 Boy’s Shortboard 3 Boy’s Longboard 3 Girl’s Shortboard 3 Girl’s Longboard 2 Coed Bodyboard
- Teams must have competed in a regular season league against other middle schools.
- Seeding will be based on rating from regular season league competition.
- Members of a team must be enrolled full-time at the school for which they surf (unless preapproved).
- A surfer must be a member of your team prior to the last event of the series AND surf at least one event.
- Members enrolled full-time in Charter Schools or other California state-approved programs may surf for their school of residence (that which they would attend according to school district and home address) and must adhere to that school district’s policy.
- Students must have a minimum 2.0 GPA to compete.
- Team slots will be filled in priority order by Full Teams (all 5 divisions) then by Ratings
- Open Slots will be filled on a first come, first serve basis.
- Only one team per school.
- Teams will be notified by email if your entry is NOT accepted.
- Once a team has been accepted there will be no refunds.
- Teams will not be accepted if there is an outstanding balance for regular season fees.
- Teams not selected can expect their refund within 4 weeks of the contest date.
Important Notice – Non-SSS members are not covered by our accident insurance for this event. If you would like to have your team covered the cost is an additional $5 per student. Please include this amount with your Team Entry Fee.
- Division start times will be available May 10th.
- Competition will begin at 7:00 am each day. Check in with Beach Marshal upon arrival.
SSS uses the WSL and WSA Rules for competition (see State Champ webpage).
Basic rules will be posted at the event.
- Shortboards are to be 7 feet 6 inches or less. SUP’s are not allowed.
- Longboards are to be a minimum of 3 feet over the head of the surfer. SUP’s are not allowed.
- Bodyboards should be no more than 2 inches above or below the belly button. Beaters are not acceptable.
- It is the responsibility of the coaches to make sure that their surfers are riding the required boards for the competition. A surfer who competes on a board that is not appropriate for the competition may be disqualified.
Trophies & Awards
- Trophies will be awarded to 1st and 2nd Place Teams for all divisions and 1st Place Team Overall.
- Trophies will be awarded to Individual Finalists 1st through 6th place all divisions.
- The “Sportsmanship Award” will be presented to the student who has displayed outstanding sportsmanship. Students will be nominated by their Section’s Beach Marshal.
There will be 2 heats for the coaches; one Longboard and one Shortboard. Coaches may enter on a first- come, first-serve basis at the registration table. There will be trophies for 1st-3rd Places. There is no charge for these events.
Sue Lister, Administrative Director 760-518-2727
Carolyn Krammer, Competition Director 760-518-3739